Mar 13, 2006

Is it a saint's name?

Deep in the LA Times sports page, do you ever read those lists of high school athletes who lead the Southland in various stats categories in their sports?

If you do, you will find something startling: Comparatively few of the kids, even those from Catholic schools, have saints' names.

That is a big departure from decades past, and it shows a waning of Catholic culture and consciousness.

True, having a saint's name does not by itself make someone a good Catholic, or a better Catholic than someone not named for a saint. But there are a lot of reasons why giving your child a saint's name is a good idea.

A child named for a saint has a wonderful patron and has a hero to look up to. The child can pray to that saint and strive to imitate his or her virtues. Having a saint's name helps a child identify as Catholic, think Catholic and live Catholic. A child who is named for a saint has a good friend for life.

Search the Web and you will find the book "Is it a saint's name?" by Father William P. Dunne. Father Albert Nevins, M.M., also wrote on that subject.

We are always after the Cardinal, the auxiliaries and our pastors and associates for one thing and another. But wouldn't it be great if these Catholic leaders would take the initiative and suggest in the pulpit, the parish bulletin and The Tidings that people do their babies a great favor by naming them for heroes of the Faith?

And if parents are looking for suggestions...Pedro and Peter are such good names!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Q - great post. I completely agree. I have two kids, both named after saints. I think we are going with a theme, too. Boys: apostles, girls: virgin martyrs.

Mike

7:18 AM  
Blogger Fidei Defensor said...

What are the prevelent non saint names? Nearly everyone I know around here, Catholic and Luthern has a Saint's name, often but not always intentional, but there are so many it's hard to avoid.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Kevin Whiteman said...

Ildephonse, Marmaduke, And Yes... Hercules.

All good Catholic Baptismal names

http://catholic-caveman.blogspot.com/2005/11/ildephonse-marmaduke-and-yes.html

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Q-

I read somewhere that the most popular name given to newborns in California is JOSE!

Now there's a saint!

Although, you are right. I am always coming across kids with non-saint names: Kaitlan is popular for girls. Cesar for boys.

And then there is my horrible name!

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kaitlan looks like a variation of Catherine.

I was born post-V2 and my parents gave me a first name which translates to "pretty" in Spanish and my middle name is a feminine variation of Emmanuel. My great-grandpa was not pleased with the choice - he thought I should have had saint's names - but he was somewhat mollifed about the Emmanuel variation. Even tho GGpa died 10 years before my own kids were born they both got saint's names.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela-

You are probably right about Kaitlan. But Xochilt??? Most people don't know how to pronounce it.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Quintero said...

Dear Fidei Defensor,

In answer to your question, Brandon and Brittany probably head the list. There are lots of nice kids with those names.

But prospective parents could do "Brendan" over "Brandon," and maybe "Brigid" over "Brittany." I'm just thinking out loud...

8:38 PM  
Blogger Quintero said...

Dear Mike,

Good for you and your wife! God bless you and your kids.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Quintero said...

Dear Speluncam,

Good ones! Thanks for checking in.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Quintero said...

Dear Xochilt,

You have a very pretty name, in my humble opinion.

Yes, I read that about "Jose," too. So there's a good trend.

By the way, I think "Caitlin" is Irish for "Kathleen." Probably pronounced "cot-leen" or so. But everybody here says "kate-lyn."

8:56 PM  
Blogger Quintero said...

Dear Angela,

That was a blessing that you could know your great-grandpa!

If your first name is "Linda" or "Bonita," those are pretty names, no? That's good consolation!

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a first name that is not a Christian saint. Do not particlular care for it, but a priest once told me to become a saint and then well it would be on the Catholic list of possibilities

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son's name is Bruno Patrick. FYI. As for me . . . Moses' brother ain't bad, I guess.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xochitl (I have seen it spelled different ways) I believe means aztec princess. 20 years ago plus in our parish, a priest refused to baptise anyone without a christian name- even if they had a christian middle name to compensate.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Gorbachenko said...

Personally, I make a habit of never trusting a bishop who isn't named after a saint.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter