May 26, 2008

Twelve men to be ordained for L.A. this Saturday, May 31. Here are three prayers for priests.

As this week's issue of the Archdiocesan newspaper The Tidings says (click on this post's title to see their profiles and photos), 12 men are to be ordained priests for Los Angeles this Saturday. Deo gratias and alleluia!

The new priests will begin their first assignments July 1.

Let's support our new priests and pray for them as they each take up their cross and become an alter Christus, another Christ, to offer the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, to guard their flock and to preach the Good News in this sin-marred world in which wolves abound.

Let's pray that our new priests will always be orthodox, will become anti-abortion leaders in their parishes and the entire Archdiocese and will discover the Christ-centeredness and salvation-centeredness of the Tridentine Mass.

Here is a prayer for all our priests:

Keep them, I pray Thee, dearest Lord, keep them, for they are Thine, Thy priests whose lives burn out before Thy consecrated shrine.

Keep them, for they are in the world, though from the world apart; when earthly pleasures tempt, allure -- shelter them in Thy heart.

Keep them, and comfort them in hours of loneliness and pain, when all their lives of sacrifice for souls seem but in vain.

Keep them, and O remember, Lord, they have no one but Thee, yet they have only human hearts, with human frailty.

Keep them as spotless as the Host, that daily they caress; their every thought and word and deed, deign, dearest Lord, to bless.

Our Father...Hail Mary...Glory Be...

Here is another prayer for our priests:

O Jesus, I pray for Your faithful and fervent priests; for Your unfaithful and tepid priests; for Your priests laboring at home or abroad in distant mission fields; for Your tempted priests; for Your lonely and desolate priests; for Your young priests; for Your dying priests; for the souls of Your priests in Purgatory.

But above all I recommend to You the priests dearest to me; the priest who baptized me; the priests who absolved me from my sins; the priests at whose Masses I assisted and who gave me Your Body and Blood in Holy Communion; the priests who taught and instructed me; all the priests to whom I am indebted in any other way.

O Jesus, keep them all close to Your heart, and bless them abundantly in time and in eternity. Amen.

And here is another prayer for our priests:

O my God, pour out in abundance Thy spirit of sacrifice upon Thy priests. It is both their glory and duty to become victims, to be burnt up for souls, to live without ordinary joys, to be often the objects of distrust, injustice and persecution.

The words they say every day at the altar, “This is My Body, this is My Blood,” grant them to apply to themselves, “I am no longer myself, I am Jesus -- Jesus crucified. I am, like the bread and wine, a substance no longer itself but by consecration another.”

O my God, I burn with the desire for the sanctification of Thy priests. I wish all the priestly hands which touch Thee were hands whose touch is gentle and pleasing to Thee, that all the mouths uttering such sublime words at the altar should never descend to speaking trivialities.

Let priests in all their person stay at the level of their lofty functions. Let every man find them simple and great, like the Holy Eucharist, accessible to all yet above the rest of men. O my God, grant them to carry with them from the Mass of today a thirst for the Mass of tomorrow, and grant them, laden themselves with gifts, to share them abundantly with their fellow men. Amen.

2 Comments:

Blogger CDE said...

Any idea how someone could get a ticket to the ordination, since this liturgy is never open to the public?

7:54 PM  
Blogger Quintero said...

Hi, Clayton,

Glad to hear from you!

Sorry I'm replying after the fact, but one thing people can do if they can't attend ordinations is go to a new priest's first Mass.

What an unforgettable privilege!

And going to any Mass that a new priest says is wonderful.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter