May 4, 2009

Fr. McBrien tells people to "'take a vacation' from the Church" -- and The Tidings publishes that!

This week's issue of our L.A. Cardinal Roger Mahony's archdiocesan newspaper, The Tidings, came out two days before Good Shepherd Sunday.

It carries a column (click on this post's title) by the arch-liberal Fr. Richard McBrien that blasts a good shepherd of souls -- and that advises people to "'take a vacation' from the Church" if he displeases them.

Fr. McBrien wrote about what he says was a message to him in which a "lay Catholic pastoral associate" complained about the new pastor of his parish. Fr. McBrien summarizes:

"The pastor has done away with all contemporary music at Mass, and has restored pre-conciliar devotions along with auricular confession. He even gives the impression that confession is the greatest of the sacraments...

"Under the pastor's control, the parish has no youth ministry, no parish council, nor any other consultative body. According to my correspondent, 'consultative is not in his vocabulary.' He also gave vocal support to the minority of U.S. Catholic bishops who proclaimed in effect that 'Catholics could burn in hell' if they voted Democratic in the recent presidential election."

Fr. McBrien also says the pastor says in his homilies "what sinners the parishioners are, and why it is so necessary for them to 'go to confession.'"

Other crimes of the shepherd: "old-fashioned church music, all the statues covered in purple as they were before Vatican II, and the usual severe words in the homily..."

Also, the pastor "had taken the parish back to a Church that she [another parishioner] knows nothing about and in a manner that showed no understanding of others' feelings."

Fr. McBrien says the "pastoral associate" asked him, "Are we expected just to get used to it?" and Fr. McBrien advised him:

"No, you are not simply to 'get used to it.' Parishioners need to go elsewhere, like the woman [the other parishioner above] who left Mass in tears" -- and "If there are no parishes or other worshipping communities in the vicinity where the pastoral leadership is healthy rather than driven by a narrow ideology, then one simply has to 'take a vacation' from the Church until the skies finally clear and we are bathed in sunlight once again."

Well, there you have it. Is not Fr. McBrien advising liberals to miss Mass?!!! And just because they can't stand their conservative pastor?!!!

Fr. McBrien and his fellow liberals should, but will not, reflect on the faithfulness of the many conservative Catholics who for the past 45 years of liberal sermons, liturgical abuse and outright hostility to pro-lifers and lovers of the Latin Mass have kept going to Mass and never "taken a vacation" from the Holy Sacrifice and the Eucharist.

Why would Cardinal Mahony publish a column in his archdiocesan newspaper in which a priest undermines "auricular Confession" and advises Catholics to "'take a vacation' from the Church?"

10 Comments:

Anonymous Dino said...

Yeah, Q, I saw this too. In the Tidings of this era, it is not a surprise.
Am tired of hearing about the Spirit of Vatican 2, and wonder if those living under its spell ever read the documents.
Can't remember anything from V2 that did away with Confession, solid religious music for reverent Masses, or added dancing girls in diaphanous attire.
If I want a vacation, it will be a search for reverence and respect for Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, it won't matter whether the Mass is in the Latin of my youth or in English or in Spanish, just no ad-libs or PC stuff.

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to go to that parish!!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Quintero said...

Dear Dino,

Thanks for writing. I'm totally sick, too, of liberals prating about the so-called Spirit of Vatican II.

You're so right that Vatican II never did away with Confession or "solid religious music for reverent Masses," nor did it recommend "dancing girls."

Not only that, Vatican II never told people to stop acting Catholic -- which countless Catholics do today when they do not genuflect before the Blessed Sacrament, do not make the Sign of the Cross when they pray, etc.

That's a great idea you have -- a vacation to search for "reverence and respect for Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament."

And you're right that any Mass at all is a big relief when it has no "ad-libs or PC stuff."

(Nevertheless, the Extraordinary Form Mass is so valuable, as we know.) Thanks again for writing!

11:40 AM  
Blogger Quintero said...

Dear Anonymous 11:10 a.m.,

You and me both!

12:26 PM  
Anonymous DAve said...

I thought missing Mass every week was a mortal sin-

good advice from a priest!!!

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I actually agree with McBrien. If someone does not believe in orthodox teachings of the Church and refuses to be obedient to the Magisterium, then leave! I only wish McBrien would practice what he preaches. -gravey

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Ruben said...

We're counting the days remaining in the waning years of the Mahony reign in LA. He will be leaving to his successor a church in disaster. God help us!

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Estevan Wetzel said...

I have a comments/ questions. First I will introduce my self. My name is Estevan and I don't read blogs often, but I live this blog. You guys are always thinking what I'm thinking lol. First, I have to agree with Dino and talk about "liturgical dancers". I hate them, it is so stupid and disrepectful during mass. Especially if they are wearing altar serving robes. One question I have is about a event that happens one a year in my church.

During the feast honoring Our lady of Guadalupe our hispanic community will march and the "Guadalupen dancers" as i call them lead them in to church. They are the ones with the drums and the moving around. Are you guys ok with that happening in a church. They dance around up front, but not in the sanctuary area and not during mass. I find it very beautiful ( their devotion and respect), but I would like to know ur opinion.

Next I have to comment about the contemporary music. I go to teen mass occasionally and I definatly prefer the traditional music better. But I cannot deny that the teen singing can be beautiful, but what I odn't like is when they treat it like a concert with over loud music. Like crazy drums. Are you guys fine with any contemporary music?

Even though I am at odds with some of the liberal views of youth programs like life teen, can we deny that there is some good coming from it. I just wish they would not use some protestant songs during mass! That pisses me off, it may be a good song but hell it is a Catholic service! I am a little leniant if we are just singing like at a retreat, but I still prefer only cathlic music. Any THoughts lol. ( oh I'm 16 by the way)

Oh and I saw Ruben comment about Mahony maybe be out soon. I am currently living in Phoenix. I just would like to know who you guys would think a good succesor would be. I am sort of thinking bishop Olmsted. I am friends with him and I love his conservatism. HE prays in front of Abortions clinics and I loved his open email to Notre Dame. Idk, I just think he is a real good bishop. He is a great guy and he is friendly to talk to. I also like how he holds the reigns of the diocese and is a great leader. What are ur guys' thoughts. Oh and sorry for any grammar mistakes!

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roman Catholics had "to get used to it" back in the late 60s and early 70s when altars were stripped, communion rails removed, side altars sealed up into the walls, sacred music replaced with banal pop drivel and the churches became in the words of Gary Wills "bare, ruined choirs". The Father McBriens of at that time indeed just told us to get use to it. I pray for the day when the Fr. McBriens and bishops of their ilk can be counted on one hand.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Quintero said...

Dear Estevan Wetzel,

Sorry to be so late in replying to you! Thank you for writing.

And thank you for your kind words!

On the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, I believe that dancers and tableaux are fine, but before and after Mass.

There is such pride and devotion in people's faces on that glorious day, and the dancers and tableaux add to the celebration.

The dancers' costumes can be authentic and still modest, of course.

As for music at Mass, I agree with you that traditional is best. And a good principle is that the music should not seem to take over the Mass, not make the Mass seem to be a performance, and not make the priest have to wait.

I agree with you that the music should not be too loud -- it can bother people, and that is not right. This past Christmas, the music was ear-splitting at one Mass, and it was clearly hurting one elderly man's ears so much that he very reluctantly got up at left. The musicians were wrong!

Catholic hymns should be used at Mass, and not Protestant ones.

I don't believe in separate teen Masses, because we need unity in our parishes and families. Teens can always attend the regular Masses together and sit together, and go to coffee and donuts together and maybe help out with serving and cleanup.

We pray for Cardinal Mahony and our archdiocese.

God bless you, and keep checking in here!

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter